National Geographic recently released a list of Top 10 Museums and Galleries here.
- Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- Le Louvre, Paris, France
- The Acropolis Museum, Athens, Greece
- State Hermitage, St. Petersburg, Russia
- The British Museum, London, England
- The Prado, Madrid, Spain
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
- The Vatican Museum, Vatican City, Italy
- The Uffizi Gallery, Florence, Italy
- Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Over the years I have had the opportunity to visit each of these museums at least once. While I enjoy the art, I am usually looking for artifacts that provide some background for the Bible. That would make a good list.
If I should be asked to suggest number 11, it would be the Pergamon Museum, Berlin, Germany.
Ephesos Museum in Vienna probably belongs on an artifacts list, as well.
Thanks, Ferrell – outstanding list! I’m 8 of 11 on your list — always trying to catch up to you (Mission Impossible, I know!) Of course, I’d add the Art Institute of Chicago, and the Oriental Institute — though OI is small compared to the behemoths on the list. For artifacts as opposed to art, it’s often quality rather than quantity one wishes for as you know!
I am surprised that all of these are in Europe or on the East coast of the US.