Israel has opened access to the Jordan River at the traditional site of the baptism of Jesus.
Bible students enjoy visiting this site for several reasons.
- Ancient Israel crossed the Jordan to enter the promised land (Joshua 3).
- Elijah and Elisha crossed the river (2 Kings 2).
- John baptized in the Jordan (Matthew 3:6ff.; Mark 1:5-9; John 1:28; 10:40).
- Jesus was baptized in the Jordan (Matthew 3:13).
- Naaman dipped in the Jordan at a site further north (2 Kings 5).
We were able to visit the site this morning.
We also visited Masada, Qumran, and Jericho.