A section of the Roman road that led from Joppa to Jerusalem has been found in the Beit Hanina community northeast of the Old City of Jerusalem. This road came to light during preparation for the installation of a drainage pipe.
The road is about 25 feet wide and is said to date back about 1800 years.
The IAA press release, available here, gives attention the course of the road from Joppa (Yafo) and Jerusalem.
The road section discovered in the IAA excavations in Beit Hanina is part of the imperial network of roads that led to Jerusalem from the coastal plain. We know about these roads from both historical sources and archaeological excavations. Two main arteries led from Yafo to Jerusalem during the Roman period. One is the road that passes through Bet Horon and the other runs via Shaar HaGai. This particular segment belongs to the Bet Horon road. The road began in Yafo and passed through Lod where it split it two different directions: one to Shaar HaGai and the other by way of Modiin along the route of what is today Highway 443 to Bet Horon. From there the road continued eastward as far as Bir Nabala and turned south to Kefar Shmuel where it merged with the highlands road that led to the Old City of Jerusalem.
The Times of Israel includes a map here showing the location of the uncovered section of road.
HT: Joseph Lauer
Pingback: Index of articles – the Romans and the ministry of Jesus | Ferrell's Travel Blog