Bible students enjoy visiting the Jordan River for several reasons.
- The ancient Israelites crossed the Jordan to enter the land that had been promised to the seed of Abraham (Joshua 3).
- Elijah and Elisha crossed the river (2 Kings 2).
- John baptized in the Jordan (Matthew 3:6ff.; Mark 1:5-9; John 1:28; 10:40).
- Jesus was baptized in the Jordan (Matthew 3:13).
- Naaman, the Aramean [Syrian] military commander, dipped in the Jordan at a site further north (2 Kings 5).
This photo of the Jordan River was made from Bethany Beyond the Jordan, in Jordan, May, 2010.
At this point the river is about 405 meters (1330 feet) below sea level.
You must be logged in to post a comment.