Beloit College, for several years, has posted a list of things that incoming Freshmen (class of 2011) do not know. When I was teaching I always found this interesting and helpful. Preachers, who think they are making themselves clear, might learn something from examining the full list. We frequently take for granted that our listeners understand our illustrations. Many of the items from the Beloit list are humorous, but I have chosen a few pertaining to travel.
- 1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.
- 6. There has always been only one Germany.
- 12. Smoking has never been permitted on U.S. airlines.
- 51. Disneyland has always been in Europe and Asia.
These are thought provoking:
- 30. Non-denominational mega-churches have always been the fastest growing religious organizations in the U.S.
- 41. They have always been able to watch wars and revolutions live on television.
But still know nothing about the problem in the Middle East (or even where it is).